United will fight any attempt to ban Ronaldo


Cristiano Ronaldo scored his 700th club goal as Manchester United beat Everton at Goodison Park on Sunday

Manchester United will fight any attempt to ban Cristiano Ronaldo over the mobile phone incident at Everton in April.

United manager Erik ten Hag said on Wednesday the Portugal forward ‘will not accept’ the Football Association’s ‘improper and/or violent conduct’ charge.

Ronaldo received a police caution after he knocked a phone out of a fan’s hands in an incident following a 1-0 defeat by Everton at Goodison Park.

He had been given until Monday evening to respond to the FA charge, which could only be brought following the end of Merseyside Police’s involvement in the case in August.

United had not stated what Ronaldo’s response was.

“We spoke about that and he will not accept it,” said Ten Hag, ahead of Thursday’s Europa League group game against Cypriot side Omonia Nicosia.

The club subsequently clarified Ten Hag’s remarks, saying that Ronaldo would not accept a harsh punishment, which United feel would be unfair, rather than disputing that the incident took place.

How to follow Manchester United on the BBC bannerManchester United banner footer



Source link

Leave a Comment